Which game do you think is the winner of this holiday season?

Sunday 27 May 2012

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Multiplayer impressions.

Saving the world, one bad haircut at a time.


This weekend I attended London's MCM Expo and was lucky enough to get an all too brief hands-on with Aliens: Colonial Marines multiplayer component.  The game I got to play is the 360 version, currently running on PC and firstly it looks great.

I began by watching a team of Gearbox playtesters taking on a group of Colonial Marines in 6v6 combat.  The xenomorphs move quickly and gracefully around the scenery, based on the Hadley's Hope colony from the Aliens movie.  The stage is suitably dark and scary, although the Alien moves without fear.  The xenomorph I saw was quick and versatile and leapt from surface to surface with a deadly ease.  This is made easier for the player through the use of a 3rd person camera.  The marines you are seeking are outlined in yellow through walls and scenery for the alien to quickly close in on.  And when they did... well, things got bad quickly for any marines nearby.  I watched the xeno go through a number of special kills including walking up behind an unwitting marine and lifting him from his feet before its 'inner mouth' was used for the kill and using its tail to impale and lift the marine.  The coolest death sequence however was a xenomorph dropping from the ceiling above a marine and landing on top of him, killing him quickly.  These quick kills lead to a small death sequence.  In terms of gameplay though, it's important to remember that these instant kills did lead to a short time that the alien is caught in a kill sequence and is vulnerable to the guns of any marines nearby.  The player I watched spent much of his fight using his vision to see through walls and pick off any marines that strayed too far from the pack.

The feeling whilst watching the Alien was that they were something of solo, cannon-fodder killers and staying alive individually wasn't the most important aspect.  This didn't feel true whilst playing as a marine and the fear that flicked through you as you caught a sight of one of your hunters was very affecting even in the middle of a packed exhibition centre.

When my playtest began I was first given the option to choose a class from three that were unlocked.  They largely appeared to be differentiated by their primary weapon including the M4A1 pulse rifle.  The other two classes I got to play with used a shot-gun and another sub-machine gun that fired in short three round bursts.  The controls are much as you would expect if you've played any first-person shooter and I had no problem coming to terms with them.  Whilst with the pulse rifle, the underbarrel grenade launcher is mapped to the right shoulder button, the standard Aliens motion sensor (a brilliant piece of movie design) is mapped to the left shoulder button, a simple (and mildly ineffective) rifle butt hit is mapped to a press of the right-stick and a flashlight to the d-pad.  When using the motion sensor, your weapon is locked out but available quickly with a squeeze of the right trigger. 

My marine team was a fairly disparate bunch and we began in various corners of the map.  I was quickly killed by an alien whilst finding my feet but the fun began as our team came together slightly.  The game was quick and brutal and I believe I acquitted myself well, coming top for our group of marines, in spite of my team losing the team deathmatch overall.  Grenades proved an effective way of picking off troublesome aliens although aren't enough to unbalance the game against the speed and brutality of the alien horde.  I was once killed after suffering acid burns from being too close to an alien as he was killed.  The screen became mildly distorted whilst I died a painful death.  I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid death once covered in acid and simply had to watch and wait whilst I died.  Each time I managed a kill or an assist, a message flashed up giving me a points reward in dollars.  When I accidentally grenade killed my own squad, I was given a deduction in dollars.  I imagine these dollars are used to customise guns, perks and armour as in many other similar FPSs. 

One final addition is the availability of team based rewards (perks).  I got to see the Crusher alien, an enormous bull like creature that can charge in and break up a team of well drilled marines.  This alien type could kill fairly instantly on a good charge although if it misses is very vulnerable to a string of attacks whilst it completes its charge.  I also saw the marine automated sentry turret that seems to be based on the weapon seen in the Aliens Directors Cut tunnel scene.  This turret can sit and fire at any xeno it sees doing an effective job of covering a flank.  I expect there to be a slew of other perks when the game launches.

I can only imagine the version I played was the game in a relatively early state but it is already very playable and polished.  With nearly a year to go to launch I can truly expect big things for this game although it enters a market crowded by similar shooters.  With  a great franchise, Gearbox's skill and a touch of luck,  perhaps this can have something that sets it apart from the identikit shooters out there.  I was a big fan of the Brother's in Arms series and trust that the things that made that great can be carried through to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Any questions, comments or feedback is greatly appreciated below.  I'll be posting more phots of the great cosplay from MCM Expo in the next few days and a first impressions of the upcoming Lollipop Chainsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment